Thursday, 12 December 2013

What I've Been Up To

I have a confession to make, I suck at keeping a blog.

Ok, it's not really a secret because its quite obvious to anyone who reads this blog that I don't post regularly and I have all sorts of excuses - I'm a perfectionist and I don't want to publish something until i'm completely happy with it; I'm lazy and procrastinate wayyy to much; I have lots of ideas and by the time I get around to writing them they're already out-of-date. Whilst all of these are true, they're still just excuses. 

I've started and stopped about 4 different posts, and have had so many ideas that i've been excited to write, but end up staring at a blank screen for 30 minutes before giving up and watching prom proposals on youtube. And all I can say, is that i'm going to try and be better.

As I write this, I am currently sitting in a hotel in Da Lian, China. Yes China. 8000km from home just because. Lets rewind shall we?

Since my last post about finishing exams, i've been running around trying to get organised for this trip as well as catching up with friends whom I haven't seen for ages. First thing after my exam, I met up with two of my best friends and we took a stroll (well really more of a brisk walk seeing as it was pouring and windy) to San Churro in Glebe. 


For all you chocolate lovers out there, I highly recommend this place. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that it isopen til midnight on Fridays, which worked in our favour, and everything on the menu...well let's just say that we had a hard time choosing. I've been there in the past (sue me, its a great spot to release tension after submitting assignments) and had a chocolate milkshake and the 'Death By Chocolate Cake', which definitely lives up to its name. When we couldn't finish it and I took it home, my family devoured it within the hour. This time the three of us opted to share a little tasting platter - and the kind staff gave us three of most things. 



I also saw the Hunger Games; Catching Fire which I loved. As a fan of the books, I felt that the movie successfully captured the soul of the story, and as a sympathetic crier, I pretty much cried the whole way through. While Finnick wasn't how I imagined him, I've seen interviews with Sam Claflin and he appears extremely charming. And there was so much kissing! Much more than I expected. The only thing that bugged me was the absence of Plutarch Heavensbee's watch and his ominous warning, but I understand that it wasn't necessary to the plot of the movie and hence the reasons for not putting it in.

I ventured into the city a number of times, to buy australian-made presents for relatives (do you know how hard that is? Nearly everything has a little 'made in china' tag on it nowadays) and catch up with other friends. I explored the new Central Park on Broadway, which is much smaller than I thought it would be, but the third level is dedicated entirely to local artists and encouraging artistry. There are workspaces which can be rented by artists, exhibition and rehearsal spaces, and an entire wall upon which visitors are able to draw their dreams, write goals and express themselves through chalk.



Artists' Workspaces


I chickened out of going to an event and spent the night at the beach instead (this opens up a whole new can of worms, which I will write about in my next post - and now that I've said it, I have to do it), freaked out about flying to China on my lonesome, arrived in China, brought winter clothes and flew to Da Lian. 


 
A lovely beach in Da Lian



Which brings us to now. A couple of hours after I first started writing this post. In the time between, i've taken a shower, eaten dinner, checked facebook (shhhhhhh) and texted friends, but at least i'm finally up to date, huh? 

I won't promise that I will post every monday or friday, I won't promise that my posts will be long and interesting, but what I will promise is that I will try and do the best I can. But then again, who reads this? I guess i'm just in the existential stage of my life. 






No comments:

Post a Comment