Don't get me wrong, I believe whole-heartedly in love and everything that it represents. My bookshelf is littered with romance novels (both trashy chick flicks and those that depict heart-wrenching, pure love) and I live vicariously through the trials and tribulations of the characters which grace our screens. I am a huge supporter of celebrating love - but I don't support the capitalist venture that February 14th has become.
Whether it's love for your neighbour, parents, sibling, friends, significant other or just a stranger on the street, celebrate it! Today, tomorrow, September 4th - whenever you want, however you want, don't limit yourself to one day. Darling Harbour has currently been taken over by dodgey looking row boats with a shocking red paint job and purple LED lights. Names such as 'Miss Chevious' and 'Fred & Ginger' have couples flocking to part-take in the festivities. Now, I don't see the problem with a good old romantic tryst on water, but are the tiny dinghy's surrounded by commercial cruise ships, water taxis and being watched by hundreds of tourists the way to go?
If that's what you enjoy, then go for it. To each their own. Maybe I'm just embracing my spinster-mindset and letting it cloud my judgement with cynicism. A conversation I had with a friend the other day has stayed at the back of my mind - her words resonated with me. She said that she'd rather experience complete and total heartbreak (think mascara-running, Ben & Jerry's eating sobbing) than never experiencing it at all. When I asked her why, she simply replied "because then I know that I would've felt something real". Ok, so I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it, and the more I thought it over, the more I have to agree. After all, its better to have love and lost, than to have never loved at all.
Cliché I know, but hey, it's Valentines Day.
Happy Valentine's Day
♥

No comments:
Post a Comment